How the e-commerce team at this Mexico-based multinational food company used data analytics to motivate key account managers
and drive adoption of digital shelf tools across the business.
Challenge: Inconsistent adoption of digital shelf metrics
to monitor performance
This multinational company based in Mexico has been a major player in the food and beverage business since 1914. With 24 major brands globally, the e-commerce team recognized that data analytics was key to maintaining visibility of their portfolio across both omnichannel and pure-play digital grocers such as Amazon Mexico and Mercado Libre. In light of ongoing post-pandemic pressures and rising inflation, the team sought to engage KAMs to make e-commerce a priority.
Why should e-commerce be a priority for food and beverage
brands in Mexico?
- Mexico is the 16th largest market for e-commerce with a revenue of US$23.2 billion with the top 3 e-commerce websites being: mercadolibre.com.mx, amazon.com.mx, walmart.com.mx
- 78% of Mexican shoppers continue to feel economic pressure post-Covid-19
- 51% of consumers are seeking multiple strategies to save money, with 20% of consumers are shifting to private-label products
- The number of Mexican consumers shopping online on a weekly basis increased 7% in 2021 while weekly visits to physical stores fell by 6%
Action: Motivate KAMs with the metrics that matter
We worked with the team to help them effectively communicate the power of digital shelf monitoring to their KAMs and develop a strategy that KAMs could use to make more informed decisions about their accounts. This involved:
- Coordinating with KAMs on their priority KPIs and translating those KPIs into metrics they could measure and influence using digital shelf analytics tools.
- Working with their team to benchmark their performance against competitors and identify opportunities to get ahead.
- All KAMs identified product content as a major problem area and so we made content metrics a priority. We coordinated with the e-commerce team and the KAMs to establish targets for these metrics and customized the tool to measure what matters most for their priority SKUs and retailers
- These metrics were reported via an intuitive dashboard that included their digital shelf score, an aggregated score of e-commerce performance based on the most important metrics that influence online sales.
Value: e-commerce excellence across the business
Our collaborative approach helped align the e-commerce team with the rest of the business, including KAMs and the commercial team in several crucial ways.
- Our digital shelf score was chosen as the benchmark for sales-based bonuses, further motivating the KAMs and providing an engagement strategy that they could replicate across their global markets.
- With our digital shelf tools, they achieved a 14% improvement in content performance
and an overall 10% improvement in their digital shelf score in just three months.
- The e-commerce team gained buy-in to grow their team to further improve their efficacy and drive e-commerce excellence across the business.
- The company now has 6 power users commanding use of the tool, keeping on top of information constantly, and turning that information into action that improves the business and improves sales for KAMs.